Comrades and friends,
I am filling in for President Roland Schmidt this week while he is away on a well-deserved rest. He will return before the upcoming ratification vote.
The president of the Winnipeg Local of postal workers shares his top five reasons to vote no to the proposed contract extensions. "The only way we get our demands met in this country is when we take them to Ottawa, not when Ottawa brings them to us.” - Matthew Aitken, President, Local 856. Click on link above or watch here >>
Canada post has introduced a new management position - a Driver Safety Compliance Specialist - to monitor your driving habits, and they mean business. CUPW members have already been given multiple-day suspensions and terminations of employment for violating the traffic act. Even the city director has been out observing on the street.
Your safety is paramount. When you are first leaving the depot, take a moment and make sure you are focused on the task of driving. If you are confronted by a supervisor you do not know, ask for ID and ask for a shop steward to be present during any discussion. Say something to the effect of, "I'm sure this is an important meeting and I would be glad to have it in the presence of a shop steward back at the depot/facility."
Canada Post believes that they can monitor your safety performance and it is difficult to mount a vigorous defence against traffic law violations. You can always contact a shop steward or our office at 780-423-9000 as soon as you’re able. Grieve any discipline, including letters "cc'd" to your file without any perceived punishment. This applies to all meetings where a letter of any sort is placed on your file.
Traffic Safety Act info: Read here >>
We want to hear from people in all areas of our local, from fleet to retail and everywhere along the way. Submissions must seek to grow solidarity in some way, be it an analysis editorial, a fact-based article, an investigative piece, a poem, a photo, or an illustration - all forms are welcome!
Please send submissions to email@example.com by August 21, 2021.
Who Can Vote?
The extension votes will be conducted virtually or by phone. Only Members In Good Standing (MIGS) with updated contact information, can participate in the vote.
NOTE: Members who have not received their PIN are NOT registered to vote!
If you have not received your pin in the mail or through e-mail, contact the CUPW office and speak to the Secretary Treasurer! Phone: 780-423-9000 EXT 2.
- If you have not yet signed your CUPW membership card contact our office (780-423-9000 ext. 2)
- To update your contact information visit: www.cupw.ca/en/update-my-info
RSMC and Urban members will each have their own, separate, meeting presentations, voting days and times. Extra time slots have been added to accommodate the different shifts. Select only one time slot.
-Once you have updated your contact information, you will receive your voting PIN from the National CUPW office either by mail or email.
- If you have not received your voting PIN via mail or email from National CUPW office by August 20, contact the Regional CUPW office for assistance at 1 (204) 942-5480.
RSMC Voting Options
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 // choose only one time slot:
-1630h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/89207338917
Meeting ID: 892 0733 8917 // Password: 904946 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/86739232219
Meeting ID: 867 3923 2219 // Password: 109532 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
Urban Voting Options
Thursday, August 26, 2021 // choose only one time slot:
- 0900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/81120089172
Meeting ID: 811 2008 9172 // Password: 672844 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1200h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/88067063399
Meeting ID: 880 6706 3399 // Password: 456536 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1630h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/85063867924
Meeting ID: 850 6386 7924 // Password: 883207 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
- 1900h // Meeting Link: https://zoom.us/j/84370187306
Meeting ID: 843 7018 7306 // Password: 589470 // Phone Option: 1-855-703-8985
How To Vote
1. Update your contact information: www.cupw.ca/en/update-my-info
2. Receive your 8-digit PIN via mail or email from National CUPW to participate in the vote.
3. Choose one time slot link for your classification (RSMC or Urban).
4. Use your link and password (or phone option) to join 10 minutes before the listed time.
5. Watch/listen to the presentations then receive voting instructions.
National CUPW Voting Guidelines
- Each voting member must be logged into the Zoom meeting before the meeting start time.
- Every meeting will begin with a presentation you must attend to vote.
- Once presentations start, no late-comers will be admitted to the meeting.
- After the presentation, there will be time allowed for questions and answers.
- Voting instructions will then be provided.
Downloaded/printable PDF version: Link
To stay aligned with the federal health guidelines affecting our members, our office remains locked and available by appointment only. We are trying to conduct all meetings with members over the phone or via video conferencing. Exemptions can be made for unique circumstances. In either case, please call (780) 423-9000 to arrange an appointment with the appropriate officer. We are extremely busy in the office so please leave a message if you’re unable to catch us on the phone.